A few months back, we introduced you to Shannon & Jason Mullett-Bowlsby, AKA The Shibaguyz, a pair of truly remarkable men who are set to take this quilty industry by storm. With professional roots in the fiber arts, they’ve been mainstays in that world for years, traveling around sharing their mad crochet and knit apparel skills with dedicated students and fans. They are regulars at shows like STITCHES and Sew Expo, selling out classes and packing booths every time.
Lucky for us, they discovered and soon became obsessed with the practice of Sashiko & Boro stitching. We launched their debut thread collection, FAB Sashiko Essentials, in February with a blog post here on Auribuzz, and did our best to introduce them to our readers.
We are so lucky that the talented gentlemen are back to share some tips and a tutorial for how to get started with the practice of Hitomezashi Sashiko.
- FAB Sashiko Essentials Thread Collection (12wt)
- Clover Sashiko Needles (Long Type)
- Clover Adjustable Ring Thimble with Plate
- Clover Kuroha Thread Snips
- Michael Miller Cotton Couture Solids
- While we prefer the long type needle, use the needle that fits best for your hand
- To thread the needle, fold the thread in half and thread the folded end through the needle
- Start stitching from the back the front
- Cradle the needle in the thimble
- Start with a basic running stitch using a pre-drawn grid
- Collect a series of stitches on the needle before pulling the thread through
- End with thread to the back
- Leave a small loop on the back between rows
- Set a pattern and follow throughout
Thank you so much for Shannon & Jason. Will you get started with some Sashiko stitching of your own?
Shannon and Jason Mullett-Bowlsby are the dynamic DIY duo known as the Shibaguyz, the inspired creators of Shibaguyz Designz studio.
The Shibaguyz’ award winning crochet, knit, and sewn designs have been featured in and on the covers of dozens of domestic and international publications. Together, the Shibaguyz team currently has over 300 published patterns and 11 books credited to their name since their first design was featured on a magazine cover in 2010.
Their fashion and portrait photography work can be seen in four of their books. They are sought-after freelance book-packaging designers having created books for major publishing companies like Sterling Publishing, Leisure Arts, and Creative Publishing.
The Shibaguyz have been teaching adults for 30+ years. Their enthusiasm, quirky sense of humor, and relatable teaching style have made them sought after teachers in both local and national venues like STITCHES Events, Rhinebeck, and DFW Fiber Fest. They also have a wide range of online classes available from Blueprint and Interweave.
Shannon and Jason are proud ambassadors for Aurifil, Clover, BERNINA, Soak Wash, and the Daylight Company. They are working on a new book, being published by C&T Publishing in 2020.
Shannon and Jason live in Seattle, Washington with their three Shiba Inu who, more or less, support their ventures in sewing, stitching, and crafting… so long as enough time is taken for walks and treats.