I’m Designer, Author, an your host for this program, Pat Sloan.
This year we challenged each designer to create a block inspired by ‘A tradition’ and I asked them to use red & white fabrics with just a splash of a color of their choice.
Carl Hentsch is a very talented designer. From his book on Amish quilts, to his incredible book of New York Beauty quilts, you will find something amazing and full of color! I really enjoyed having Carl join us on the Splendid Sampler as well!
Visit Carl at www.3dogdesignco.com
Missed a month? CLICK FOR PRIOR DESIGNER interviews
Remember we have a Challenge portion of our Designer of the Month interview. Each month we select one random winner to receive a 12 LARGE spool BOX of Aurifil thread for just making the challenge block and sharing it! Details at the end plus last month’s winner!
Let’s get to know Carl!
Where do you live and what is your favorite spot there?
Just moved to Lake Ozark, MO. We have had some mild days this winter so we enjoy spending time boating on the lake.
When was your FIRST quilt sighting?
I recall first recognizing quilts during the Bicentennial. I remember seeing a lot of 30’s and Amish quilts. The first quilt I finished was called A Home in My Heart. This was a block of the month that I had found online. The pattern was from Applewood Farm Publications.
What is your favorite tip?
I typically store my yardage on Comic book boards. They are acid free and inexpensive.
Tell us about your other things
I have a new quilt pattern appearing in the Quilt Maker’s July/August 2019 issue. Currently working on book #4.
- What’s on your playlist? Lady Gaga, Cher, Bastille, Madonna, Cyndi Lauper
- Do you Garden? Cannot grow an outdoor garden at the lake as we are on a rock cliff. We do have indoor plants.
- Are you named after anyone? I am named after my father
- Dog or Cat? Dog, of course (3 Dog Design Company) We have 4 Chihuahua’s and a cat (that thinks he is a dog too!)
- Favorite snack food Popcorn
About your block – What Tradition are you celebrating?
My block was inspired from my childhood in Florida. I remember heading to the beach with our cousins on Christmas to hunt for sea shells.
DOWNLOAD Aurifil Designer BOM July 2019
note: as with all Paper piecing, check the 1″ mark for accuracy
Visit Carl at:
- Instagram: @3DogDesignCo
- Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/3DogDesignCo
- Pinterest: https://www.pinterest.com/3dogdesignco
- Twitter: @3DogDesignCo
Each year I make the Aurifil blocks in a totally different set of fabrics. At my blog today I have a few tips and all 7 of my blocks together
CLICK TO MY Website for some color planning tips
Enter your block BELOW by Aug 15, 2019 to be in the running to win a BOX of Aurifil
This is SUPER EASY to enter all you have to do is make ONE BLOCK.
And JOIN my fantastic online quilt group with the most incredible quilt show each day… I’d love to meet you!
******* JOIN our Aurifil Family *******
EACH MONTH we will pick one random winner that has made a block.. that person will receive a special Aurifil thread prize! Winners are all contacted email
Our RANDOM picker selected BlueStar’s block! you’ve been emailed
CLICK to see all the great versions for last month HERE
- Sign up for the Aurifil Newsletter… scroll to the NEWSLETTER box
- Become a member of the AURlfil fan page on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/aurifil.quilt.thread
- For more Aurifil project photos visit our FLICKR PAGE HERE
- See more quilts using Aurifil thread at our Flickr page
I love the colors in the quilt & always use aurifil!