We’ve teamed up with our friends at OLFA for a fabulous monthly series that will answer all sorts of questions about OLFA tools & Aurifil threads. Whether you’re just getting started, looking for specific answers, or are interested in key tips and tricks, this series is for you!
Grab the details you need, send the link to a friend, and always feel free to share your questions — we’re here to help! Want these details and more sent directly to your inbox? Subscribe to our newsletters via the buttons below.
Tips for Hand Quilting with Aurifil 12wt
Aurifil’s 12wt/2ply thread comes in all 270 of our Cotton colors and is wound on a red spool. It is the heaviest weight thread that we offer and is perfect for hand quilting your favorite projects.
- Use a quality hand needle that won’t break or bend during the process of hand quilting ensuring the eye of the needle is large enough to accommodate the heavier weight thread. Consider a crewel or embroidery needle in size 5 or a chenille needle in size 24.
- Avoid the thread getting fuzzy or weakened by threading the needle with a short length of thread, approximately 12-15”, or roughly the length of your forearm.
- Stitch with the nap of the thread by knotting the last end cut and threading the needle with the opposite end.
- Use a sturdy quilt hoop to secure the layers of the project for stitching.
- Use an open-side thimble for ease of pushing the needle and thread through the quilt layers.
Keeping your rotary blades fresh and safe
- Replace blades when they are showing signs of wear.
- Keep rotary cutters out of the reach of children. Use one of our locking handles if you have these concerns.
Find the OLFA® handle that works best for you
- With four sizes of blades, from 18mm to 60mm, plus eight different handle styles, there’s something that will match everyone’s needs. Besides the traditional OLFA® yellow, some of our handles come in special colors that will enhance your décor. Designed for either left-hand or right-hand use by reversing the assembly of the blade. All OLFA® cutters come with a hang hole for easy storage.
- Next month we will dig into what sizes work best for what projects
Join us next month for more handy educational nuggets! HUGE thanks to OLFA for their continued partnership!