We’ve teamed up with our friends at OLFA for a fabulous monthly series that will answer all sorts of questions about OLFA tools & Aurifil threads. Whether you’re just getting started, looking for specific answers, or are interested in key tips and tricks, this series is for you!
Grab the details you need, send the link to a friend, and always feel free to share your questions — we’re here to help! Want these details and more sent directly to your inbox? Subscribe to our newsletters via the buttons below.
Tips for working with Aurifil 12wt
- Aurifil offers two 12wt thread choices: a 2ply cotton available in 270 colors and a soft blend of 50% wool and 50% acrylic available in 192 colors. 12wt is the heaviest weight thread offered by Aurifil, delivered on a red spool.
- Aurifil 12wt threads are heralded for adding lovely texture and dimension to projects. Applique, quilting, cross stitch, sashiko, embroidery, and embellishments look fabulous when prepared with either cotton or wool 12wt.
- For machine work consider using a 90/14 or 100/16 Topstitch needle. The groove along the shaft of this needle allows the thread a place to hide while machine sewing or quilting. Aurifil 40wt works well in the bobbin. You may need to lower the top tension when machine stitching with a 12wt thread.
- For hand work consider a chenille or tapestry needle in sizes 24-29 or an embroidery/crewel needle in sizes 5-9. A larger eye needle aids with the ease of threading.
- For hand quilting tips using Aurifil 12wt thread, click HERE.
Safety Features – OLFA Ergonomic Rotary Cutter
OLFA Rotary Cutters are designed with the user in mind. Each handle type has it’s own safety features. The RTY-2/DX Ergonomic Rotary Cutter leads the pack! The list begins with the dual-action safety lock (red button) that prevents accidental opening. Next is the squeeze handle that exposes the blade for use then self-retracts for safety. The anti-slip grip and curved handle help reduce wrist and hand fatigue. Finger grooves at the top of the rotary cutter indicate where to place your index finger and help reduce slippage when cutting. Two added benefits are that this handle also comes preloaded with the OLFA 45mm Endurance Blade, that cuts twice as long as our standard blades, and a hole for hanging the cutter for storage.
The RTY-2/DX is for both right- and left-handed users. See how to change to left-handed via the button below.
Join us next month for more handy educational nuggets! HUGE thanks to OLFA for their continued partnership!
I like the look of the new endurance olfa cutter. Can you use the regular olfa blades in the rotary cutter?
Greetings Barbara — Thank you for the inquiry. The OLFA Ergonomic Rotary Cutter (above) will take “regular” blades in addition to the Endurance blades it comes pre-loaded with. You can find more information on the OLFA website: https://olfa.com/collections/craft